Connectivity and Coverage
Are iBurst drivers available for Mac OS version 10.4?
Yes. Current iBurst drivers need to be loaded plus the supplemental driver for the UTC available off the web site. Be aware that, with the new Apple Intel Duo laptops, the following is not compatible:
- UTU and UTD USB drivers are not compatible due to software incompatibility
- UTC is not compatible, as Apple Intel Duo based laptops no longer use PCMCIA, replaced by ExpressCard The only option currently available for this range of laptops is UTD using Ethernet.
Does bandwidth bought during the course of the month carry over
- Additional Data Carry Over applies to additional data bundles purchased during a month
- Unused portion of the additional data bundle will only be carried over
- The unused portion of the additional data bundle will only be carried over to the month following that in which it was bought (i.e. valid until the end of the following month).
- Standard data bundles forming part of the subscription packages will be carried over to the next month if not utilized
- Available from 01 July 2006 ( all unused data bundles bought in June 2006 will be carried over).
Does iBurst support 64bit systems?
Unfortunately iBurst does not support Windows 64bit drivers for Windows XP and Windows Vista. These options are supported if you use the Webfone or Desktop modem
How can my MTU settings improve iBurst performance?
MTUs are critical when using iBurst. Connectivity in a networked environment requires MTUs set on the router and the network interface ports.
iBurst is based on PPPOE & default Windows MTU settings of 1500 can’t be used, and should be adjusted, even if problems are not experienced.
Correctly set MTU will prevent packet fragmentation resulting in degraded connectivity. The recommended MTU for iBurst is 1392. For stand alone USB or PCMCIA please set the Dial Up Ras MTU to 1392. Set MTUfor VPN to 1364.
How secure is my iBurst connection?
Once a subscriber is connected to the Internet with iBurst, the subscriber is exposed to the normal risks of any Internet connection – for example viruses intrusion attempts and malware.
It is advisable that normal Internet security measures are implemented by the subscribers, such as firewall, anti-spyware and anti-virus programmes It is equally important that such security measures be continuously maintained and updated.
I am getting an error ‘Phone line busy / Remote Computer Does Not Respond’ What do I do?
- Check the coverage maps online.
- Phone line busy is a sign that your signal has deteriorated or you’re in a low coverage zone.
- Remove and reinsert the UT device.
- Get an antenna.
- Reboot the PC.
- Check if Ethernet port is OK (UTD) or that the dialup interface is enabled (UTC)
- Call the support centre to assist further if the above has not helped.
I have fluctuating signals. What do I do?
- Check the coverage maps on the website and boost your signal with an antenna.
- Download the latest Firmware updates for your device.
- Move your device to a location more conducive to better signal.
How do I use an antenna on the 2mb modem?
- You may use 2 external antennas or a splitter
- If using a splitter, connect the antenna to the splitter and connect the splitter pig-tails to both antenna's on the 2mb modem.
Connects To ->
I’m unable to connect. What do I do?
- Check if there is signal or check your link status on the IB icon on your task bar if connected through USB or on a UTC device.
- Check if UT is connected correctly & all cables (e.g. Ethernet cable between UTD and PC)
- Check all ports, Ethernet/USB on your operating system to ensure that they are fully functional.
- Check that the virtual network has not been disabled or deleted. This can be checked under your network connections.
- Check if connecting through a router – if so check PPPoE settings i.e. username, password.
- Bring the UT device for testing at the iBurst office or your local supplier.
- If all above fail contact the Support Centre or your local supplier.
What are the symptoms of incorrectly set MTUs?
The first sign of an incorrectly set MTU will be E-mails not going out. You could also have difficulty with opening certain websites or have no throughput- at all.
Does my unused bandwidth roll over to the next month?
The amount of data carried over which will be added to the new months
quota will be the maximum of the following:
- The package monthly quota and
- The amount of top-up data purchased in that month
Thus if the subscriber on a G1 package has 0.5GB left over, he will
have 1.5GB in the new month. If the same subscriber purchased 3GB
topup in the month and has 2.5GB left over, then they will have 3.5GB
in the new month.
Unused top-up data will only carry over one month and will only
accumulate to a maximum of the monthly quota. Bandwidth is allocated at midnight on the 1st of every month.
If you have unused bandwidth, it’ll be reset with the new allocation to your account.
How do I find out the bandwidth I’ve used for the month?
- Bandwidth reports are mailed daily to your E-mail address.
- Logon to the bandwidth monitor to see your bandwidth status.
I’m having problems sending mail. What do I do?
- Check your antivirus isn’t stopping your outgoing mail.
- Check your SMTP setting in your mail client is correct : smtp.iburst.co.za
- Remember: if you’re on a network only 4 mails can be sent out concurrently.
- Server should be in host forwarding mode (NOT DNS delivery mode).
- Server response setting set to 180 seconds.
- Maximum mail size must be less than 2 GIG.
- Maximum number of recipients per message = 30.
- Check that your MTU is set to the correct size
- If all of the above are of no assistance please contact the Support Desk.
I’m unable to browse or mail once I’ve reached my Cap. What do I do?
Contact the call centre to assist with troublshooting or purchase 1 gig of bandwidth to get yourself onto a uncapped full speed connection.
My email isn’t working. What do I do?
- Login to Your Account to ensure that the account works.
- Check SMTP and POP3 settings are:
- Use iBurst's SMTP server to prevent spam.
- If you are using iBurst on a network:
Only 4 mails can be sent out concurrently,
Server should be in host forwarding mode (NOT DNS delivery mode),
Server response setting set to 180 seconds,
If all of the above are not of assistance please call the Support Desk.
What hardware can be used with iBurst technology?
Laptops or desktop computers using any of the following operating systems:
- Windows 7
- Windows Vista
- Windows XP
- Windows 2000/Me/98SE
- Mac OS X
- Linux (over Ethernet)
What is the maximum size email I can send?
When is iBurst network maintenance window?
A weekly network maintenance window exists, during which time, network outages may or may not occur. This maintenance window occurs on a weekly basis, starting at midnight Wednesday, and lasting up to Thursday morning 3:00am.
How can I see if my speeds have improved?
A good simple way is to use the speed test from the iBurst website. Make sure to take a reading before you connect the antenna and again after you connect, to compare. Always remember your maximum speed achievable is based in the coverage of the area you are in and the overall quality of the signal.
What do I do if I’m receiving better signal on the opposite side of the premises to where connectivity is required?
- Install a wireless router and connect to this via your computers wireless interface.
- Lay an Ethernet network cable (straight configuration) to the preferred location and use the Ethernet network adapter on the iBurst device for connectivity.
- Move your computer to the preferred location.
- Additional RF Extensions can be added to the standard 5m supplied. These are in the lengths of 5m or 10m. This is recommended as a last resort as additional cable results in a reduction in the signal quality received.
Does iBurst support 64bit systems?
Unfortunately iBurst does not support Windows 64bit drivers for Windows XP and Windows Vista.- These options are supported if you use the Webfone or Desktop modem
How do I check how much data I have used?
You will be able to monitor your usage online and can also- choose to receive- daily- bandwidth usage emails.
Is there a more detailed explanation of the bandwidth usage email?
Yes, click here for a detailed explanation.
What can I do with 1 gig?
- Download 290 MP3s, or
- 200 Video Clips, or
- 20 000 word documents (@50KB per document), or
- 4.5 hours of video conferencing, or
- send 200 000 emails (without attachments), or
- browse over 36 000 web pages, or
- use 3000 iCall Minutes
Please note: these numbers are only estimates, and may vary according to content, quality, length etc.
How do I renew my Kaspersky License?
- For information on renewing the Kaspersky License, click here download this PDF.
- If you experience any difficulties, contact us and we assist.
Does data carry-over apply to FreeFlo packages?
Yes – Bandwidth Boosters bought on FreeFlo packages are subject to the same data carry-over rules as on fixed bundle packages.
iBurst laptop bundles
Can iBurst assist with any hardware failure and related issues on the laptops?
In the case of hardware failure or warranty queries you need to contact the manufacturer directly.
Do all packages qualify for the promotion?
No. Please view our specials details for further information.
Does the 7-day cancellation rule apply to this promotion?
No. The 7-day cancellation rule does not apply to this promotion.
It is therefore very important that you make sure you have sufficient coverage before signing up.
Does the laptop come with a warranty?
The laptop has a 1 year standard warranty, however iBurst is providing the customer with a 3 year extended warranty on the Acer EX5630EZ.861 653 653.
How will the bundle be invoiced?
The bundle will be invoiced as per standard contract invoicing.
How will the items be bundled?
You will receive the advertised laptop, with a laptop bag, an iBurst Wireless USB Modem and a Dial a nerd voucher.
How will the items be delivered to me?
Laptop, modem, laptop bag will be delivered to the customer directly.
Through which channels can you purchase a Laptop Bundle?
The bundle is available through Direct Sales and Reseller channels only.
What are the anticipated timeframes of delivery from Axis?
The customer can expect delivery within 3 days from contract activation.